Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Once upon a time, not long ago...

...I didn't know how to crochet. I just couldn't get it. Hook through something, yarn over, pull yarn through whatever you put the hook through in the first place (yarn, your eye, a car window, someone's ribcage). I couldn't even chain the right way. I certainly didn't know how to increase or decrease and I had no perception of bouillon stitches, block stitches, bobbles or what was the difference between a back loop or a front loop.

My name is P. I have a daughter who is five. One day she asked me if I could make her a rabbit. I said sure. Yes, I actually said sure. And I meant it. I bought a book. I bought a hook and yarn. Of course the pattern I chose said "experienced". And the rabbit? Well... It has goofy eyes and I made a thousand mistakes, but it is a rabbit alright. I thought to myself that if THAT was a pattern for someone "experienced" I was born a yarn pro without knowing it.

 This is where it all begun. This is the rabbit which made it all happen. Today I am a yarn junkie. I have my own currency. Skeins. A train ticket is X skeins of this-or-that yarn. Nowadays I make frogs. Frogs are made wherever I go. My favorite place to crochet is on the train to work. A distance isn't miles or kilometers. Distance is converted into X frog body parts. Commuting to work is four legs and a head, if I make a plain frog without any specific details. The hours between breakfast and lunch is a frog body with a dress, if I have the day off and have nothing to tend to (like my home - which I love neglecting so I can spend more time in Frog Land).

Welcome to the Made By Clifford blog! There are thirty frogs I'd like you to meet!

3 comments:

  1. I'm starting to think we were separated at birth! LOL

    Great start to what I know will be a great blog!! Love your sense of humor and zeal for life!;)

    Hugs to Clifford, P, the Elf, and all the frogs...even to the rabbit with the goofy eyes (who is actually VERY cute by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story P... so wonderful.
    It is amazing how great your characters are now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just FB'd you. Hope you keep up this blog! -D

    ReplyDelete